Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 44

It is only 6:30 pm here, so there is still some day left... but i had to go ahead and write! It has been quite the adventurous evening. Today Sean and I went to AUB (American University of Beirut). It is a beautiful campus. Honestly, the nicest college campus I have ever seen. We had a few errands to run and I had to go to the grocery. Then we came home and I made baby food for the next several days. This evening we went to Cafe Younes...which by the way has become one of our favorite spots. It is this great coffee shop that has been around for a long time (can't remember the exact year). I got the best hot chocolate I have ever had. Then we went to this really nice bookstore looking for a book that our friend Noah recommended. It had been a leisurely day... until we got home. On our way home from the bookstore, Isaiah started crying. Which is very odd for him. As long as we our outside walking, he is as happy as can be. We thought his teeth must be hurting him so we headed home quickly, because he was obviously not happy. We get to the door and when Sean pulls the keys out of his pocket, he realizes that he had picked up the wrong keys. So here we are in Beirut... Walid is in England... Said is in Tyre... and we don't even have our cell phone on us, we left it in the house. It is dark outside... the vegetable guy (who uses Walid's balcony for storage and has a key to the balcony) has already left for the day. WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO? Sean is contemplating trying to kick in a 80 year old door with a big lock. Isaiah is crying and we can't do anything for him. Sean goes around to look at the windows... I'm not sure why because there are bars on all the windows so even if a window was open, it's not like we could get in. But then Sean looks in the front window where the office is. There on the desk, about 7 feet from the window, is the right set of keys. The window is unlocked and the screen slides open. I went next door to the butcher and he offered a broom. Of course the broom wasn't long enough... and it was too thick anyway. When I went back... the butcher remember something else he had... I still don't know what it was... but I know it was a gift God's grace. It was a long skinny pole with a hook on the end of it. I got it through the window... and thankfully it reached the desk. But I only had one shot. If I knocked the keys off the desk, or if I dropped them... the pole wouldn't reach the floor because there was furniture in the way. I tried several times, but I couldn't get the key ring around the hook. I almost knocked them off... it was so hard to maneuver because of the distance. Then when I almost knocked them off... the key ring flipped into perfect position. The hook fit perfectly right into the ring. Slowly I picked up the keys to make sure they were securely hooked. Then slowly pulled the pole past the desk, the chair, and another desk... and pulled them out... safely into Sean's hands. Yes that's right... Sean married a ninja!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment